We drove down Friday evening, carpooling with a workmate and his two daughters (11 and 13 or thereabouts). It's been a while since I sat three across in the back seat of a car!
The weather was fairly nasty on Saturday - the mountain was open, but it drizzled most of the day and visibility was pretty terrible. Still they seem to have had bad weather on the weekends for most of the season so far and the mountain being open was good enough for hordes of people to still go up. We didn't ski or board, just went for a trudge in the snow.
I spent most of Saturday afternoon cooking for the 20 people (some of the Wellington staff came up for the weekend as well, it was really good to put faces to voices on the phone/email addresses), then we sat around and drank beer and played cards etc by the fire while it poured with rain outside. A perfect winter's evening really!
As you can see from the photo, it cleared up on Sunday. We left mid morning and meandered back to Auckland via the inner King Country and the Waikato Hydro Lakes (give an engineer an option of two routes, one of which goes past several dams, which way did you think we were going to go?). A very pleasant way to spend a weekend.
4 comments:
Surely you'd be a bit sick of dams after 'that week' of dams! Although that said I'd probably choose the dams too, but I think with weather like that on the mountain methinks Peter would have chosen to stay at the mountain and drive back later!
I have very fond memories of that week of dams! Best field trip ever!
:-)
Finally....an update..for a moment there I thought you had got stuck in the dam.I hear taking canoes and going down dams is quite a buzz.The Dambusters..
See you both soon.
Gordon
In our very first post we only promised to update once a month!
Post a Comment