We decided to do a bit of a trek up Muriwai Beach in the Landrover on Sunday... Paul came along in his Pajero and everything was going fine until we made an inpromptu stop at South Head... The engine stalled in the landrover when coming to an idle after spending half an hour or so running, and didn't want to start again... so after having some lunch, the engine started no problems, and we decided to head up a sand dune...
Paul went up first, me following. I got to the top and just about to go over the crest when I ran out of momentum and got stuck... great. I put my foot on the clutch and nothing. stall. no clutch. great. Stuck at the top of a sand dune, at South Head with no clutch.
sigh. (please note that this is the, er, censored version...)
Managed to get the engine running no probs and pumping the clutch I got it into reverse and came down the dune backwards. Pumping the clutch several times, managed to get going forward, and (cutting a LONG story short) we get back off the beach at Muriwai, and just pulling up to home (about 75km later...) when the clutch completely spits the dummy, and we pull up outside the neighbours place with much graunching of gears and nashing of teeth... not just mine...
find second gear and get home and sorted, and I pulled the top off the clutch to discover that the reservoir is empty... Hmm, that's an easy fix... pour hydraulic fluid in, bleed the clutch and presto, we're back in action... phew...
Looked around for evidence of leakage, and there was none... evidence that is...
So far, it turns out to be just a long time of not being used and the clutch fluid has just gradually dissappeared.
Anyway, turned out to be a very lucky escape - 50km in 4wd country is not a nice place to be with a dodgy clutch...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The trusty landrover..great machines...see you thought it had let you down when really it was evaluating all its remaining options ..and got you home. I suspect the reason you cant see the evidence is because the fluid has gone into the bell housing and could be the seals gone on the cyclinder going into the bell housing. I had same thing happen on the disco. This assumes the holden has a bell housing clutch cyclinder..Gordon....
just as well you have spent all those years listening to your father then isn't it and knew what to do! ha ha ha.
Post a Comment