Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The baby stuff we couldn’t live without (1 to 5)

By request, here’s a list of things that we find really useful for coping with a newborn (in no particular order). This will be really boring to anyone not currently expecting, and it’s a long couple of posts, so you might want to skip it :-)

1. Flat cloth nappies. We have a dozen of the brushed cotton type and a dozen of the terry cloth type and while we were told they would come in handy, I had no idea just how handy. We go through them like hotcakes although I’ve only ever put one onto Jeremy’s bottom (we have enough MCNs – “modern cloth nappies” – to last 3 days without washing). We use them for putting underneath JJ while changing or having “free willy time”, as an extra layer for the drying process after a bath or shower (which is a military operation!), to mop up spills, etc. When he’s slept longer than my boobs think he should they’re good for wrapping around my chest to catch leakage. I understand they are also good as burp cloths, although luckily we haven’t needed them for that.

Side note, while I’m on about nappies, for those interested: the midwife who took our antenatal class suggested that we only use disposables for the first 6 weeks, and we intended to follow this advice, but things were going so well we gradually introduced MCNs from about 4 weeks, are now using them exclusively during the day, and just started using them at night as well. We have tried all the modern systems except prefolds (because I figure plain flat nappies are hardly any more effort). On a regular basis we are using Kushies fitted nappies, Honey Child pocket nappies and Snazzipants all-in-ones. The Kushies are good (although JJ is still a bit small for them despite the sizing supposedly being 4-10kg), they soak up a lot of wee, but they are bulky and do take a while to dry. The Honey Child nappies are much trimmer, haven’t leaked yet, dry very quickly, but can be tricky to get on with all those domes (impossible in the dark) and are rather expensive. I’m very impressed with the Snazzipants all-in-ones, they dry faster than the Kushies, are as trim as the Honey Child pockets, and are just as easy as disposables to put on. We’ll be buying some more of those. The Snazzipants website has some great info on all the different MCN systems for those considering what to get.


Side side note: I’m loving all the Eco Store products we’re using, from the baby bath soap and shampoo, to the laundry powder and wool wash, but am sad to report that their whitener doesn’t seem to do as good a job in the wash as plain old Napisan (works better as a pre-soak though, although it’s not as easy as simply throwing it in the machine).

2. Swaddling wraps. JJ sleeps better and for longer if he’s firmly wrapped up with his arms by his sides, and I mean FIRMLY so he can’t wiggle out. Yes you can use a cot sheet, or even a flat nappy when they’re brand new and still tiny, but it’s a really good idea to have dedicated wraps, particularly in a distinctive colour or with a distinctive print. Some people swear by designed swaddling products such as the SwaddleMe – which we have tried – or the Miracle Blanket, but we’ve found the plain square wraps to be the biz (ours, a present from Dave’s work, are the brushed cotton Smart Swaddles, with a handy tag that gives swaddling instructions, but I understand big muslin squares are the way to go in summer). Check out The Sleep Store for more info (plus they have some great articles on baby sleep).

3. The very practical and stylish pouch sling from Dulce and Zoet (courtesy of Emily, this was our first baby present). It folds up very small so I can take it anywhere, I can get stuff done around the house if JJ is having an afternoon where he decides he needs cuddles all the time, he settles really well in it (and in fact has a special snore he reserves for when he’s in the sling), and to top it off it’s in an absolutely gorgeous print. I am, however, also coveting a Moby Wrap for around the house, as at the moment the sling only really allows me one hand free. It’s not nearly as pretty though, and with 5.5m of fabric, doesn’t fold up nearly as small. If you want to investigate all the different sling options check out the Slingbabies site.

4. Our Kapoochi nappy bag which was given to us by the Rabbitts who used one the same with their twins. Some people like to have different bags of different sizes to suit different occasions, but I love being able to keep this on hand packed with nappies, spare changes of clothing etc all ready to go. It has heaps of features including a fold out change mat, dirties bag dispenser, sealable pocket for wipes, and insulated end pockets for bottles – and one end zips off so I can carry one bag with me but zip off the handbag part with my wallet etc if I need to leave JJ and supplies somewhere.

5. The bassinet with fold up legs and wheels, which was one of the masses of baby equipment we were lucky to inherit from Dave’s brother and his family. Meant JJ could be wheeled out to sleep in the lounge during the day, and put back into his room at night, helping with the sleep training by being one of the ways we distinguish between night and day. With the fold up legs it’s also very compact, takes up the same amount of space as a portable cot in the car, so can be taken out somewhere if we’re going to be there long enough for JJ to need to sleep. Unfortunately JJ has pretty much outgrown the bassinet and we’ve transferred him into the cot. He looked so big in the bassinet but now he looks teeny tiny! If I was buying furniture from scratch I would seriously consider a Moses Basket instead of a bassinet, due to extra portability. And I have friends with babies the same age as JJ who swear by their baby hammocks – they seem to work wonders for babies who are difficult to settle. The hospital even has one they used to settle the difficult newborns.

Numbers 6 to 10 coming tomorrow (I hope).

No comments: